Nepal........ An Unidentified Problem

4 comments


From 10 o’clock in the morning every Nepali channel were broadcasting live from Sainik Manch Tudikhel. Dance, song, military parade, sport exhibition and many more. Everybody was suited in fine daura surwal and military officer in their magnificent suits. Now I hope you all figured out what am I talking about? If not let me notify you that today is the First Republic Day in Nepal. And the scene I cited earlier was the majestic program organized by The Government of Nepal to mark the first anniversary of the historic day 15th Jesth, The Proclamation of Federal Republic of Nepal. The people in the TV screen were in high spirit satisfied within them. These people are as clear as crystal. They want to rule at any cost. Maybe they don’t know for what but they want power. They think just about them and their types.


But here I am reproaching them, blaming them for my awful condition. I wished to be happy because it was my dream to be free and live as a sovereign citizen despite that I’m feeling low. Because there is a great difference between those happy faces of the television screen and my grumpy mask. Yes I am the mask because I have many thing mystic within me. I am confused and lost. Lost in the street filled with trash that couldn’t be disposed for many weeks, lost in the misty darkness of the town where people are driven to live, lost in the city full of people who are thirsty for days and are lining in front of public tap, lost in the country where vehicles are lined for days to get petrol. Yes friends I’m lost like the network of our telecom. That is why I’m confused. And I am confused because I don’t find the congruency between the definition of freedom that I was taught by my teacher when I was kid and the freedom I’m experiencing now. I am confused whether that freedom gives me a career, gives my kids a future or gives us the great nation.


Now I don’t understand what is our problem? Is this the immense love for daura surwal of our leader or is this the boundless desire of we people? I don’t think expecting healthy drinking water, hygienic food, clean cities, easy access to fuel, electricity to light our houses, safe and trouble free highways, good telecom network, well managed traffic, and strike free universities can be depicted as boundless desire. So I think we are not the problem. And what about those silly faces who love daura surwal? I can’t understand them because I don’t have the power to catch on those complex and covetous mind.

4 comments

Amir 29 May, 2009

काम कुरो एकातिर कुम्लो बोकी ठिमीतिर गर्ने हरुलाई दरो शिक्छा दिएको छ।

Unknown 30 May, 2009

its a good artical ramesh the way you started writing is good, but as i go down the expectation slides down. Good attempt keep it up and thank you for letting us read such a good article.
Gaurav

Alpha-1 30 May, 2009

liked the article very much n it does reflect the true feeling of a struggling youth in modern nepal- nepal with a small 'n' because it doesnt have anyone to enforce the big 'N' infront of it. And I think this situation is not gonna change very soon.. we will have to get used to it untill someone comes along with a ray of hope; as many did before and leaves us waiting for a hopeful day to come which unfortunately we never see...

Anonymous 31 May, 2009

a well portrayed image of the reality. nice article. keep it up.

Post a Comment