2004 Vs 2010

5 comments
Isn’t it amazing if things start to happen exactly same way as you expect them to be; obliviously yes. And these days locked inside my room I’m feeling weird. But there is one thing good about it because things are turning my way. Thumbs up to you guys for locking 26 million Nepali in the room for a week.

It was back in 2003/04 final year of my school days. Nepali parents want their kids to sacrifice games, festivals, ceremonies and on top of it TV to prepare them for SLC. And it was same in my case also. During that time I was a kind of TV freak guy. We didn’t have cable then so we had just Nepal Television. I was regular viewer of 8:30 serials. Chandrakanta, Om Nama Shivaya, Mahabharat, KaliGandaki ko Serofero, Aviral Bagdacha Indrawati etc. I remember them till now. And okay Hindi movies on Saturday, I never missed one. I used to give up everything to be at home on 2:30 during Saturdays. Guess what, I had to listen more dialogues off screen then on screen.

“You are in class 10; at least have a shame on yourself”
“Mom, don’t start again”
“See your brothers they are already in college, they are doing great and you are here all day watching these half nude witches dancing”. A moment of silence and there she start again with her hand in the head.
”Do you ever think about your future?”
“I don’t want to think about anything right now, just let me watch the movie”
“I don’t want to hear anybody saying bad about you. Why don’t you read well? Can’t you take your eyes off the TV?”
“No”
“See this is the defect of TV, it is filling your mind with useless stuff, and you have no respect to parents, god save you”
“Mom can we end this here”, I said. “I’m hungry can I have something to eat”
“No” she gave me an agitated frowning. ”Why, don’t TV feeds you? Ask TV for your breakfast”
She went out, though I lost my breakfast that day I was happy because I could watch movie silently at least for next half an hour. Back then in 2004 my mom thought she was protecting me by not allowing me to watch TV.

Seven year later: 2010, first week of May. And it was from the very beginning of May things started happening my way. It was 4:30 pm and I was busy with college project. I got a call from my mom.
“Are you watching TV?” mom asked.
“No”, I was confused. “What’s going on?”
“No no it’s nothing”, she said. “Every channel are broadcasting Maoist rally live, so I thought you were also watching it”.
“I’m busy with my college stuff, I’ll watch it later”
“Did you have your breakfast?”
“Yes I did mom”, I said. “And you?”
“No, we all are watching it”, she said. “We’ll have it later”
“Woowaa from when did TV start feeding our family mom?”

She just laughed and hung up. I kept wondering why in the gods name does these old people loves politics so much. There is a saying “politics is about old people talking and young people fighting”. I think they like talking but I hate fighting so I guess I’m out of the game. That’s why political events rarely excite me these days. Today there was clash in Pokhara so, I got another call.

“Hello”
“Do you know there is fighting going on in Amarsingh Chowk”
“Yes, I do”, I said. “I’m watching it”
“Nice”, she said.
“Mom what is nice in watching these fights in TV”, I said. “It’s so depressing”
“I know”, she said. “But you watch TV whole day, watch movie, cricket whatever you like but don’t go out in the street, did you understand? Who know what will happen when? You don’t know how to speak so just stay away from the debates, they say YCL are everywhere in the streets of Patan”

So and so, she went on for few minutes elaborating me what to watch in TV, what to do and what not to? This month of May is turning out to be the best for NTC. I got 5 or 6 calls a day. One fight in the street and phone starts vibrating. And now in 2010 she thought she is protecting me by making me watch TV. At least she knows it’s worth watching TV. Aren’t things turning my ways?

5 comments

Anonymous 08 May, 2010

Very nice !!! I like it.

Amir Subedi 08 May, 2010

Best of Youth mind i got till date! Thanks bro you remind me the days behind!

Aakash Ghimire 08 May, 2010

hey man..this is a great idea..u compared ur past very well with the present..thanks for sharing your thoughts..

Anju 09 May, 2010

Excellent and reality based, which happen in everybody's life.

Anonymous 18 May, 2010

its alwz fun to read ur articles !its so real. Every poeple can relate to their lives. gud work !!

Post a Comment