Tea Talk

2 comments

Usually seven of us used to catch a tempo from Baneswor Chowk for the college but yesterday we were just four. That guaranteed a seat for each of us so there was no rush to hit our head on the ceiling while hurrying for the seat. After taking a seat, I made myself comfortable, take a bag off my back and put it on the lap and asked.


“So why Pandeyji didn’t came?”

“Don’t take his name man”, said Manoj. “He called me to his room but he left without waiting for me”

“Why?”

“He asked Pankaj for the lift”

“Woa! woa! Somebody is opening a saving account”

“And I guess this will be bigger than Shiva’s account”, laughed Manoj. “This is 14 rupees account unlike Shiva’s one rupee KIST student account”


Everybody laughed. It took 43 minute to reach the Saatdobato Swimming Complex and 9 more to reach the college. That means we were in the canteen after 51 minute to resume our slamming conversation. But this time the stage was big with all the class assembled around the table. We started mimicking the bike ride as soon as we reached the canteen.


“Bhur bhur bhurrrrrr…. come on shiva, ride with me” I started.

“Bhurrrrrrrrrr… coming buddy wait for me” he laughed. And we twirl our bhurr bhurr bike around the table.

“What are you doing guys” a question rose from the audience.

“What am I supposed to do? I don’t have a new CBZ Extreme” I replied.

“And nobody gave me the ride” Shiva chuckled.


Two more guys joined with us and our bhur bhur bike turned into a chuk chuk train. Pandeyji stayed on the corner flushed red and laughing heavily just to show he is normal. I dragged the chair and joined the round table.

“Did you watch TV yesterday?” Pandeyji broke the ice. “Prachanda said sorry to Maha Jodi and valley people”

“Did he? God damn it” I rejoiced and slammed the table. “I knew he would do this sooner or later.”

“We knew you know everything” Gaurav said. “And I heard Prachanda called you before the press meet to consult with you”.

The laughter broke out and this time I was the victim. Pandeyji’s roar was much bigger. He might have thought this was his revenge. We got nothing to do with politics or its player but we couldn’t stop watching them play the game. And this game was giving us more to cheers for. At the same time the content of our tea talk was mounting.


“Why should he call me?” I tried to defend. “I heard Rakesh Sud resign and you are the new Indian Ambassador, didn’t he called you?”

“Hahaha, foreign god (bidesi prabhu)” Everybody pointed Gaurav and they got another laughter capsule.

This time it was me who won. Though outwardly I showed the victory in the same old way; laughing, inwardly I realized I lost the game.

“God, how jolly are we” said Manoj. “Can we go to the class now”

“Was elephant big because it studied, No…… ” Gaurav began. “What’s the point in attending the class then?”

“I know ant wasn’t small either because it didn’t study” answered Manoj. “But can we leave now; I got to prepare for my presentation”


And it was high time we pause our slamming conversation. Everybody started to make up for the class. I thought many times and tried to persuade myself not to mention about the politics but I couldn’t. I don’t know which part of me wants this: democratic me or pacifist me but the result is I’m enjoying politics. The fact is, it’s not only me who enjoy it but the people around me also fancy little spice of politics in the conversation. After all we all are Nepali born with politics in the blood.

2 comments

kreepa 18 May, 2010

u hav dis amazing talent to relate any subject wid politics !! i found it witty n intelligent !! keep it up smart boy !!

Anonymous 24 May, 2010

yes yes keep it ......boy

Post a Comment