1 Rupee Bridge

1 comment
Many of you may wonder what this fool means by “1 Rupee Bridge”, I got an explanation here. I was travelling in a city bus from Baidam to Mahendra Pool to pay ADSL bill. I had already paid the expanse for Mahendra Pool and he asked me one more rupee when I got off at the other side of the bridge. It made me mad and I asked what that was for, he replied me “you had paid for Mahendra Pool and you getting off here at the other side of the bridge”, for me either side of the bridge is Mahendra Pool and for that bastard it was Ranipauwa, more than that it was one more rupee.

I don’t know when actually that bridge was made. It was there from the very day I knew about Pokhara and I think it is the synonym for Pokhara. Isn’t it? Recently there have been an attempt to change its name and it was so deep inside the heart of Pokharali that nothing happened. It was Mahendra Pool when I heard it for the first time maybe around twenty years back and still it is the same. I may have heard for thousands may be million times this name and how could it be something different.

But today I realize something more than that. It’s not the name people care about. It’s about how they can use it. It is so used to for me that I find it hard to say “Bhimsen Chowk “, and it is 20 more meter distance for bus staff to increase their expanse by one rupee. It is the respect to the King who built the bridge for those who ruled our nation during the time it was built and it is the symbol of sacrifice of martyr Bhimsen Dahal for those who think that the recent political change is because of his blood shed. Who cares how much does it cost to build? Who cares who really made it? Or who cares who lost their life there?

But it was really funny when that guy asked me for one rupee for travelling across the bridge. I’ve read the essay called ………………….. which calculates the cost of human body, I’ve watched the movie “Million Dollar Baby”, about how much a lady boxer worth and today I realized this Mahendra Pool worth just 1 rupee. Haha its “The 1 Rupee Bridge”.

1 comment

Anonymous 15 April, 2010

ha ha nice one...........
the conductors .. especially pokhreli's are really mean... especially city bus ones...
Once i paid 9 rs for chipledhunga from srijana chowk... that too after getting 45% discount ..
No one cares what they are doing.. i mean the government officials and we poor people hv no options left but pay wat they ask!!

Post a Comment