14 Minutes

2 comments

It was just another freaked out day for me. I heard the news of exam being postponed for 3 days and when I checked the university website last night there was the third notice with the same theme. So there was no real rush to start my study for the day. I woke up late had my lunch and started playing manager mode in FIFA11. ‘If university doesn’t want to take my exam why should I give it huh’, the consolation thought went through my mind this morning. And the common problem of Nepal, electricity went off and I wrap up my manger mode and there was nothing to do next. So I grabbed my photocopy took a chair and went out to enjoy nice and warm sunny day.

‘Welcome bro, nice to see you out of your room’ mumbled my boy next door the Rolpa Boy with toothpaste filled mouth. ‘I don’t see you often in the sun, how come you today?’ he thought that was funny.

‘Don’t start again man, I’m in no mood, my exam got postponed for 3 days and I’m really freaked out’ I showed my frustration.

He grinned at me. ‘And that is third time isn’t it?’ He spit the toothpaste out of his mouth and resumed his brushing.

‘Yep’ I nodded and put my chair by his side and opened the photocopy; Ethernet and IEEE 802.3 standards. Oh no, why do I have to read this Ethernet in every semester, is it so important? I started to flip the page to find something interesting but there was nothing. Subnetting, TCP/IP, OSPF, FAT, NTFS, DNS.... same shit again and again. I think there is nothing new in technology except these late 80’s and early 90’s discovery.

‘Where were you man? I searched you in the whole house’ Mr. Pop my brother like friend rolled up from nowhere. He used to be my neighbor several years back and we used to watch three four movies a day then. Those were the hell of days. And he was in Kathmandu for few days.

‘I’m here’ I just continued flipping photocopy.

‘Is there no electricity?’ he asked.

‘What you think, if there was would I be out here?’ I was getting unsettled with bad print in the photocopy. ‘This is Nepal man, don’t make yourself fool asking such an asshole question’.

He turned to the toilet and Rolpa boy got excited.

‘Why do Pop dai spent so long time in the toilet?’

‘How do I know? Ask him?’ I was offended with the question. ‘But he used to go to toilet every half hour few years back, now I’m unknown about his time of stay in the toilet’.

‘I’ll take a note of the time’ Rolpa boy took his mobile out of the pocket. ‘Its 11:27’ he looked at me with a big smile in his face.

‘That’s just stupid you know’ I took off my jacket and put in my head as the sun was really making roast out of me.

‘Its 2 min and I’m sure he is not there to pee’ His smile was getting bigger every time he turned toward me.

‘What’s so funny?’ his stupid act was getting in my nerve. ‘Why are you so concern whether he pee, defecate or fart huh?’

‘There is not a single drop of water in the toilet’ he laughed.

‘So what?’ I looked at him. He blinked me twice and that triggered my mind.

‘That means there is no water to clean his ass’ I started enjoying his bullshit act. ‘That’s little funny’. I blinked him back.

‘Its 11:35’ The Rolpa boy was watching every tick in his clock. He started counting his fingers. ‘It’s been 8 minutes bro’.

‘Leave him alone, don’t be so stupid’ I tried to comfort him to leave me. ‘Go and clean your mouths, your brushing is really irritating me’.

‘I’m counting Pop dai, if he comes out I go’. He was in no mood to give up his mission. So it was useless to try him.

Where RIP was used to work in small network OSPF was made to work in comparatively large network. I was through to the routing protocol after finishing subnetting.

‘It’s 11:38’ he again started counting his fingers.

‘And it’s been 11 Minutes’ I interrupted his counting.’And don’t ask me what do people do for 11 minutes inside a toilet’. He was paused and was in some dilemma. He was swapping his eyes between mobile screen and his fingers. ‘Yeh, you’re right it’s been 11 minutes’ he finished his counting.

I frowned at him so he just lowered his eyes from me.

‘Tube light’ I murmured.

The Rolpa boy got on his feet and walk past me. ‘Where are you going? Pop dai is not out’ I showed my concern.

‘He’s out’ he turned back and showed me the time. ’Full 14 minutes’ he symbol 14 by showing his right palm and closing it twice. He ran towards the toilet, opened the door and looked inside. Then he started to turn back in slow motion. He was thinking real hard. He closed the door of the toilet and walked slowly to me.

‘Why do people take 14 min to pee?’ he was asking me like an innocent child asking a teacher what an elephant is.

‘Hahaha’ I laughed. ‘Go and ask him’

The Rolpa boy went out of my sight. Pop bro didn’t notice anything out of track when he came back from the bathroom. And I was wondering ‘Why do people take 14 min to pee?’ when he started the conversation with me. ‘So what’s new with our Blogger?’

‘I’m writing new post titled 14 minutes tonight’ I smiled at him.

‘What’s it about? Are you trying to write something like 11 Minutes of Paulo Coelho?’ he asked.

‘More interesting than 11 Minutes, better read it first’ my smile got bigger every second I see his face.

2 comments

Anonymous 03 March, 2011

Nice article..............

Anonymous 06 March, 2011

what did he do for 14 minutes?
i want to know

Post a Comment