In The Evening

1 comment

The traffic in the streets of Kathmandu goes into hibernation on Saturday, and it feels really great to be around. After a long time, yesterday we got a chance to move our feet on the Jam free streets of the capital. It really feels out of the world watching empty road in the town. The cold breeze was blowing the whole evening. The freshness of the rain that washed all the filth of Kathmandu the previous evening was spreading with the breeze. What seemed out of track in this busy city yesterday was that nobody was in rush. So many beautiful head with no mark of rush in their face, that was amazing. ‘Yea, it’s the real weekend’. I thought myself.

When the whole town was gathering in Tripureswor for Bryan Adams, we made our way to New Road. Two reasons for that, first we didn’t have the tickets and second we didn’t have that much to buy one. So we planned our evening away from those electric acoustics. We did little shopping and went for Sekuwa in Basantapur but our bad luck, we didn’t find the Sekuwa vendors in the street. I thought they were also having weekend. We walked through the narrow gulley of Asan Bazzar. It was real fun to watch people doing their business in hardly few square foot shops. I mean the whole shop was in a cart or bicycle and in many cases it was the back pack. And a big smile came in my face seeing the Wall Mart of third world. I remembered my teacher telling us about the Supply chain management of Wall Mart and the excellent managerial skill of Mr. Sam Walton (the founder of wall mart). And after visiting Asan Bazzar I concluded that we don’t need Wall Mart in Kathmandu until we have Asan and every business man in Asan is Sam Walton.

We left Third World’s Wall Mart and headed to SunDhara to get a bus back. The street around Sahid Gate and the Road that descend to Tripureswor were surrounded by Policeman with Gun.

‘What’s going on in here? Is the president going somewhere?’ The guy waiting for the bus asked.

‘No, you dumb ass it’s for Bryan Adams’ the other one replied.

‘Who is Bryan Adams?’ the first one was confused.

‘Summer of 69, here I’m ‘. The other replied.

And the real confusion aroused in the face of first guy. He scratched his head and again asked.

’Is he the new American Ambassador?’

We were getting with the conversation and the Bus came so we started chasing it. The scene inside the Bus was even funnier than the Bryan Adams conversation in the Street.

There were just two empty seats at the last row. So my friends get their butt adjusted. And I was in great dilemma where to adjust mine. I looked around. And the young couple by the window was behaving as if they were in honeymoon. The Conductor came inside and shouted.

‘2 people in place of 1, 3 in place of 2, 4 in place of 3 and 5 in place of 4’ He turned his head and murmured ‘This is not taxi so adjust’. He went to the door and got on with his business.

‘Oh Baneswor, Koteswor, Kadaghari…….Baneswor, Koteswor……’

The thought whether to adjust my butt with the couple or not went three times through my mind and finally I decide to adjust. I was half in and half out of the seat. It was 2.5 in place of 2 not 3 in place of 2. Slowly the crowd started filling and the real adjustment started. I was squeezed between the couple in the left and the big damsel butt in late forties standing in the right. Thanks god I saved my nose from squeezing otherwise…….

And when I got off in Buddhanagar, I felt relieved and the cold breeze filled my lung. It was so nice to feel the freshness in the air again after suffocating for 20 min. The neighbor dog barked at me so furiously that I dropped my key. But today it didn’t make me angry. I was happy. Don’t know why. The evening away from Bryan Adams was not bad except we missed Sekuwa of Basantapur.

1 comment

Amir Subedi 20 February, 2011

Is he the new American Ambassador?....well said brother!!

Post a Comment